Thursday, August 16, 2007

There's no such thing as a bad hair day when you have a pillowcase on your head

At my first dress fitting, I bought the pricey wedding gown slip that they recommended because (a) I knew I needed a slip (b) I don't know anything about slips (c) Buying it there meant I didn't have to find it on my own.

The slip is kind of pouffy (when you see my dress, "pouffy" will definitely not be the first word that comes to mind, but the slip isn't like other slips that just sort of hang--this thing could probably walk down the aisle by itself). And having a kind-of pouffy slip means that putting on my dress is going to be more complicated than I originally thought. The slip has to be put on first, and I won't be able to step into my gown while wearing the slip.

And that means that my gown has to come on over my head.

Obviously, dressing me will be a multi-person operation, and it looks like I will be doing the least amount of work:

1. Lift arms.
2. Let dress fall into place magically.
3. Live happily ever after.

My mother, maid of honor, sister, and perhaps any random females who happen to be wandering by the hotel room at that time will be in charge of lifting up the gown (high enough for a statuesque female such as myself to step below it) while trying to keep it as wrinkle free as possible.

Have I mentioned that my hair and make-up will have already been done at this point? There is huge potential for ruined hair, make-up, dress, and morale. No bride wants a lipstick stain on her wedding gown (though we will have a Tide to Go stick and white-out onhand in case of an emergency, or if we have to touch up my shoes).

My mother offered a fabulous suggestion--I will wear a pillowcase on my head while putting on my dress. Luckily, because everyone in the whole world will be helping my put on my dress, there will be no opportunity to capture that magical wedding moment for the wedding album.