Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wedding worries

Last night, I picked up our marriage license and confused the town clerk when I basically asked for an insurance policy for the license:

M: What happens if I lose the marriage license?
Clerk: Lose it? You can't lose it. You need it to get married.
M: I know, but what if something happens to it? What if I accidentally set it on fire or something?
Clerk: You're going to burn your marriage license?
M: NO! I just mean...hypoethetically...what do I need to do if it somehow disappears and we need another one? Would there be another 3-day waiting period?
Clerk: No waiting period. I guess we'd make another one for you. Just don't lose it on a weekend.
M: I'll do my best...

Comforting...sort of.

The issue of "Will I lose our marriage license?" falls into the "Issues that won't be resolved until our wedding day" category, along with the very-important question of what to do with my engagement ring during the ceremony. I think I am supposed to wear it on my right ring finger, but it doesn't fit (not even with vigorous pushing will it fit over my knuckle) and would be way too big for my pinky finger. Is it a faux pas to wear it on your left ring finger during the ceremony and do a quick switcheroo afterwards? (Is it bad luck to remove your wedding ring so soon after the cermony??)

Also in the "You have to keep worrying about these issues" list is the attendees list and seating chart. It's looking like we won't receive all of our response cards by the requested due date. I didn't think people would need six weeks to decide if they wanted to come! We've been sending out friendly reminders because we know it's easy to forget to drop your card in the mail. This weekend, we'll juggle all of the names and hope that everyone falls into a table with people that they'll get along with.