Sunday, August 12, 2007

An unpolished bride

To polish or not to polish, that is the question. And we're questioning only my fingernails here--of course my toenails will be polished (in fact, they are part of the "something old, something new" tradition, though they are neither old nor new--more about that in a later post, perhaps--ooh, the foreshadowing...).

Here are the reasons in favor of polishing: Everyone expects my fingernails to be polished. Apparently, a special occasion is not a special occasion unless one's fingernails have assumed an unnatural, shiny, sparkly color. Second reason: I do admit that the unnatural, shiny, sparkly color does look nice and, well, polished.

Here are the reasons in favor of not polishing: I'm leaving for a 2-week honeymoon the day after my wedding. Unless I remove the polish the day after, I will have to deal with removing it at some point during the honeymoon because no nail polish, no matter how good it is, looks good past 5-7 days. Unless I want to buy nail polish remover while in France (let's face it, I'd rather wear chipped polish for a week and a half than deal with that translation nightmare), I have to pack the remover. And therein lies the problem.

If you've ever accidentally tipped a bottle of nail polish remover over in the cabinet and found everything smelling of acetone the next day, you'll understand my dilemma. I don't know why, but bottles of nail polish remover are notorious for leaking, even under normal circumstances. What will happen after an airplane trip and a number of clumsy luggage handlers? Even if I pack the nail polish remover in several ziploc bags, there is a risk that all of my clothing and personal items will be covered in nail polish remover by the time I land. Catastrophe!

To polish or not to polish, that remains the question.