Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Soundtracking our wedding

Last night, I filled out the DJ questionnaire, containing all-important questions such as, "Will there be a bouquet/garter toss?" and "Who will be toasting?" and "Where are you going on your honeymoon?" The questionnaire also asked for information about song selection.

I don't proclaim to have any musical ability, but my lack of talent does not in any way affect my enthusiasm for music. And that is why I have asked the DJ to incorporate some karaoke-style entertainment, courtesy of the bridal party, into the brunch portion of the day.

Just kidding. ;)

I want the music at our wedding and reception to suit our tastes as well as the tastes of our guests, while still giving our DJ the flexibility to make judgements about what music will appeal to the crowd.

I care most about the ceremony music--the music before the ceremony, the processional music, the music during the ceremony, and the music for the recessional and following receiving line.

For the rest of the day, we gave the DJ a few guidelines (we like Sinatra-style music for the cocktail hour and brunch) and requested a few favs ("Old Cape Cod" has to be played at least once at every Cape Cod wedding). For the dancing portion of the day, I asked the DJ to play music that will appeal to the most people and will get the most people on the dance floor--I think that people our age will still have a good time even if we're not rocking out to JT the whole time.

As for the last song, I left it up to the DJ's discretion--after all, he is the pro. I think we can safely assume that he will read the crowd correctly and play something that will appeal.